2.21.2005

360 Part II

After coming to terms with the fact that NY wasn't going to happen on terms that were cool with me, I continued my grind in VA. Practically doing nothing and learning few things that could push me to the next level. My Pops kept telling me to think positive and to worry less because the stress I was putting on myself was going to kill me. I ended up staying in VA for 3.5 years. FINALLY! Someone believed in me. Or maybe they couldn't get anyone else to accept the poisiton, LOL! Either way I was on my way up.

Or so I thought! I am five months into this new gig and it is apparent to me that this move was more latteral than vertical. I am thankful for this opportunity to do what I do in a market that is a lot more conducive to my personality and interests, but I need more. It could be never being satisfied. Whatever it is, I need to move forward. Renting is getting old and being the "low man" on the totem pole is weakening the strength I believe my shoulders can handle. So the question became, "What the &*%^ am I going to do about it?"

The answer became the thing I last wanted to do coming out of undergrad: GRAD SCHOOL. You, well, my friends and I, always heard get your degree and the world will be your oyster. This could be true, but having clams while other folks are getting oyster BARS wasn't working for me.

I was fortunate to find a weekend Master's program in Communication that I believe will take me to the next level and beyond. I could be wrong, but I am learning to not be afraid of it. Shit happens, but it is whatever happens after that that makes you successful. Or something like that. Whatever the cliche is, you know what I mean, LOL.

So this is the 360 I have been talking about. The greatest prospect I have had in years used to be the last prospect I ever considered. It's amazing how this decision has changed my attitude and outlook on the "real world." Not only because I BS-ed around in undegrad and this will provide an opportunity to prove to myself that this is what I am built for, but because it will sharpen and enhance my "real world" experiences. Most of the lessons taught in undergrad are hard to be placed because, to that point, we haven't experienced how it applies to real life situations. It's kind of like boxing. You can train all day and night and spar with the best there is, but until you take that first shot, you really don't know what you are made of. To this point I have taken my first shot and even stumbled. But I am still standing and as long as I am standing, I can still win! *For some reason after reading this, the Antoine Fisher "And I/m still here" line is in my mind, LOL* So anyway, now it/s time to hit the gym and train even harder.

I have no sure way of how I am going to pay for this I may not even get accepted into this program, but I tried and I have a back-up plan for another school already in planning. Time will tell, but hopefully things work out for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home