7.18.2005

Fired for Blogging?

Shouts out to the Straight Shooter for putting me on to this article.


Recently, there have been a couple articles about people being fired for blogging. My initial reaction was "WTF?" I was really pressing my head wondering how someone could get fired for this. Then I read the articles and came to the conclusion that those people may have been idiots hiding behind their keyboard and computer screens. Well, maybe just some of them.

According to the article in USA TODAY, folks are getting fired for going to in-depth about their jobs and things going on within their companies. This is the idiot part in my humble opinion. I am confused as to why folks who know that things like that are inapropriate in email, would write these types of things in a blog. Especially when they are including their names and even pictures. Is it me or is the poster child for showing a lack of common sense. What employer is going to pay you to publicly attack them?

For the record, to avoid hypocrisy, I will admit to talking about an incident with a co-worker, but I think there is a small difference. I could be wrong, if so let me know. So, awhile back I spoke upon an incident where a co-worker was a little mad that I couldn't pick him up from the airport. Here's the thing though, I never mentioned his name, nor did I mention where I work or what we do. Granted, 99% of the people who read this blog know me personally. I just think that even if my company found out about my blog, they would be hard-pressed to find a reason to fire me. But, maybe that is exactly what the people in the articles were thinking. If it turns out that way, then so be it. I will happily take the 'L' in order to happily express exactly what it is I want to express. you have to pick and choose your battles, this is one I am armed to fight.

The second article I found on this topic was featured on the careers page on MSN. This article, with consultations of a blogger who has been fired, compiles a list of "Do's and Don'ts." The funniest one is "Don't hide it from your boss!" I find it funny cause how is that suppossed to transpire? Should I email him, send a link or just give him a head's up that I have a blog that once has centered around an experience of a co-worker. He would probably read the blog, but not like it. Not cause it was inappropriate in the scope of work, but because we just don't agree on many things.

Whatever the case may be, be safe when you blog. You could be risking your future with your company. I say use common sense and blog about things "off the clock" as I do. Hell, I spend 40+ hours at the job, I refuse to let it concern my life to the point where my blog is dedicated to "work."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home